Red in psychology: meaning for women and men
Red in human psychology has a more active influence than any other color. This impact is both positive and negative. It excites, motivates to action, gives strength and energy. And along with this causes aggression and irritation. Usually red is a favorite color of those who strive for leadership positions. Who else likes red? How to properly use it in life?
A little history
Red in color psychology and its shades have always played an important role in people’s lives. There is some evidence for that:
- Drawings on rocks are often done in the color red.
- Some African tribes in their rituals cover their bodies in red, considering it a magical color. The chief wears the same outfit.
- In ancient times, the color symbolized Mars, strength, masculinity, militancy.
- In Western Europe it was a symbol of power.
- In ancient Egypt, the color red was considered sacred. Therefore it could be used only by those in authority.
- In ancient times red meant love.
- The Slavs had a wedding dress in this color.
- In Christianity, red symbolizes the blood of Christ.
And in Europe, too, the color is very important. Here it speaks of power and strength.
Meaning in psychology
So, red in psychology is power, energy, sensuality, activity, aggression and sexuality. It motivates a person to action, excites him. But at the same time, it reminds of blood.
In different times, the color was given different meanings. For some it symbolized love. For others, it spoke of war and hostility. It turns out that this spectrum conveys all emotions from love to hate.
The positive properties of the color red in psychology are:
- the ability to defend one’s opinion and position;
- the desire to be a leader;
The disadvantages include:
- tendency to violence;
In addition to the basic color red, shades of red are also important in psychology. There are a number of examples:
- Burgundy. Represents a combination of red and brown. Speaks of conservatism, self-confidence. People who like this shade are stubborn, assertive, but calm. There is no irascibility and aggression in them. Excess of burgundy is always difficult and oppressive.
- The color scarlet. Stronger than red because of its sensuality, sexuality, and emotionality. Influences one’s energy, but can also cause one to act rashly and impulsively. Symbolizes light-heartedness.
- Crimson means sincerity. The person who loves him can be trusted. He is optimistic, confident in achieving their goals. But at the same time, he is very unpredictable.
- Fire-red. Gives people willpower, helps to cope with life’s difficulties and trials. But sometimes it can be emotionally draining.
- Pink. It is purity, love, youth. Those who prefer this shade are vulnerable, resentful people. However, they quickly forgive and forget about offenses.
- Dark red. Quite an interesting shade that signifies indulgence, which borders on cruelty and even cynicism.
Those who love the color red in clothing, interiors, accessories – leaders by nature. Such people are difficult to take out of temper, they do not respond to criticism and comments, and confidently pursue their goals. Reaching them for them is a common occurrence.
What does red mean in the psychology of men? He is associated with sensuality, sexuality. Not for nothing that many members of the stronger sex prefer girls in red outfits. They are willing to do anything for them. But at the same time they are not aware of the impact of the color on their subconscious, and often deny it.
Red can be described as a masculine color. It denotes a coarse energy, which is characteristic of confident, stubborn personalities. They persist in pursuing their goals, but at the same time, they are sometimes violent.
Women who love the color red are strong natures who greatly value their freedom and personal boundaries. They are guided solely by their own desires and interests in their actions. And they want those around them to take them into consideration as well.
Despite such a rigid character, the fair sex are passionate, gentle, loving. They love life, they enjoy every pleasant moment, trying to live so as not to miss a single minute.
According to psychology, if a child draws red, there is nothing wrong with it. In the first years of life, he often chooses bright shades, such as pink or yellow. And only later draws attention to green, blue, etc. Often preferences depend on gender.
Children who highlight the color red among others are open and active. They will not adhere to the generally accepted rules, but set their own. They also prefer to act against parental words. That is why their upbringing is often difficult.
Psychologists recommend not decorating children’s playrooms with red. Its overabundance has a bad effect on the immature psyche.
Where to use
Red is often found in clothing and, for example, in the interior of living spaces.
According to the psychology of colors, the red color in clothing indicates a person’s desire to attract attention to himself, to be in sight. In the human character was clearly seen courage, determination, strength of mind and the desire to take leadership positions.
Red clothing indicates optimism, passion, and emotionality. However, it can also create a negative impression. Therefore, it is not recommended to wear such clothes for a job interview with a potential employer.
How to properly use the red color in the interior design? There are several recommendations:
- An overabundance of red provokes attacks of aggression. Therefore, it is better to refuse to use large objects and elements of this color. Small details, on the contrary, will create a feeling of coziness.
- Scarlet is contraindicated to people who suffer from high or low blood pressure.
- The right combination of colors helps to make the room a place where you can relax and recharge the energy of life.
- Red is associated with solemnity. That is why it is definitely recommended to use it when decorating rooms for various celebrations.
Do not use shades of the red spectrum in the bedroom, nursery or bathroom. In these rooms it should be possible to relax and calm down, and not cheer up.
Combination with other colors
What does red mean when combined with other shades?
- Gray – impulsiveness, rash actions, secrecy, often irresponsibility. – Fullness of emotion, unity with others, ability to interact with others. Harmony in the sexual sphere. – Determination, initiative.
- Orange – harshness, irritation. – Learning something new, gaining knowledge. Warmth, joy, active desire to interact with the outside world. – Overdramatic character, exaggerated desires, danger. – An acute reaction to what is going on around, sensitivity to stimuli from the outside.
In combination with the color brown, red indicates sensual gratification, indulgence of own weaknesses.
Who likes the color red?
People who prefer the red spectrum in everything have these character traits:
- Desire to control others.
- Selfishness, stubbornness, cruelty.
- Love of adventure, desire for new experiences.
- Sociability, uncommonness, creativity, determination.
- Irritability, irascibility.
- Authority, desire to keep everything under control.
- Energy, an active lifestyle.
Red likes women who want to dominate in a relationship. They are impulsive and often show aggression.
Those who do not like this color, in most cases, are not confident in themselves. Such people prefer to be alone, they are afraid of quarrels and conflict situations.
If a person used to like the color red, and now does not, we can talk about moral and physical exhaustion.
How does it affect the psyche
All the colors of the red spectrum have a stimulating effect on people. And it affects both the subconscious and the mood.
Also this color provides a rush of vital energy. But not for long. The effect will disappear quickly, making way for a feeling of fatigue. For long-lasting results, it is better to choose calm, warm colors.
Red color has an irritant effect. In such a state, people are capable of rash actions. But sometimes it can lead to the fact that they would do something that they have long wanted to, but could not decide. However, it is worth remembering that the use of this method can cause uncontrollable outbursts of anger.
An overabundance of red provokes the development of anxiety. And if a person has a sensitive psyche, then panic attacks.
What does a deficit lead to?
If we talk about the emotional state, the lack of shades of the red spectrum leads to neurosis and headaches.
So, the meaning of the color red in psychology is very ambiguous. On the one hand it represents an active lifestyle, irrepressible energy, sensuality, and passion. And on the other hand – belligerence, the desire for power and toughness. Using it in clothing or interior, it is important not to overdo it. Otherwise, instead of the expected effect you get fatigue, aggression, anxiety.
What does red mean?
“I’m tired of all the colors, except…”. This uncomplicated children’s game reminds us of our difference from each other in our preference for certain colors. When these preferences are more or less stable, we can assume a certain attitude toward the world, the presence of some permanent character traits in a particular person. In this article we will look at the meaning of red color and its impact on world perception.
Man’s physiological and psychological perception of color is closely linked. Therefore, red is often associated with love, fire, blood. The meaning of this color in human psychology depends on its shades and has positive and negative characteristics.
The positive can include activity, lust for life, activity, confidence.
Red is full of energy, vitality. It is preferred by people with a rapid pace of nervous activity: choleric and sanguine people.
It helps to overcome difficulties and achieve goals, as well as self-acceptance, the ability to defend their position and interests. The energy of this color pushes the awareness of his mission, contributes to the emergence of responsibility, increased self-esteem.
Such qualities shown by red as aggression, anger, irritation rarely benefit, so they can be attributed to the negative. It is a sensitive color that tires you and discourages you. Scarlet also signifies sexuality. People who are attracted to it and use it often are prone to sexual relations without sensual affection.
What does it symbolize?
One of the associations that the color red evokes is love. This can be traced to symbols of love – hearts, Cupid’s arrows, roses, and love inscriptions. Another closely related association is passion, which is indicated by symbols such as hearts, flowers, and kisses.
Another symbol of red is power and majesty. It is worth remembering the robes of kings and leaders – they often used these very shades. It is also the color of the draft, of the revolution: the kumachkovo banners, ribbons, carnations. Many coats of arms and flags of modern countries necessarily include this color.
Red as a belligerent is depicted in the Templar cross, the capes of gladiators, the Greek gods of war, often associated with the element of fire, in the red poppy, the symbol of World War II. In religion, items of temple decorations and scenes from sacred books are painted in red.
Rituals, celebrations and parades are also associated with red in one way or another.
The meaning of the red color as a symbol of danger is used in various signal systems: on road signs, rescue services.
Shades of .
The red color has many shades. Depending on this, they characterize the qualities of a person who prefers this or that tone. Below is a description of some of its shades in their connection with the characteristics of personality.
- Burgundy, which combines red and brown, represents conservatism and confidence. People who prefer this shade can be assertive, but without flamboyance, they are solid and composed. Excessive use of this color had an oppressive, heavy effect. Red-brown, where there is less brown, is characteristic of self-confident people, enthusiastic but able to control their emotions.
- The scarlet shade of red enhances its effect in terms of sensuality and emotionality. As it is more fiery, it carries even more energy and often pushes one to rash actions. The result of such impulsive actions is powerful, and its quality depends on the purity of the goal. It is distinguished from other shades of red by its “carelessness.
- Crimson adds sincerity by mixing it with bluish. You can trust the words of this man, he is loving and affectionate. But at the same time it is characterized by suddenness and unpredictability. These people are optimistic, successful, active and capable of great things.
- Fiery red imparts strength of will, stamina, which helps to pass any obstacles and tests. In this case, there may be exhaustion caused by excessive diligence.
- Pink is the color of youth, purity and love. Its lovers are characterized by tenderness and vulnerability. They take much to heart, but in spite of the resentfulness – withdrawal.
- Dark red expresses indulgence on the verge of cynicism and cruelty.
People who have a predilection for all things red in clothing, accessories, food – cheerful, active, confident. They are natural leaders and managers.
They are persistent and optimistic – it is usually difficult to knock them down with remarks and negative attitudes. Achieving their goals for them is a matter of routine. The extreme manifestation of their persistence – uncompromising, unwillingness to accept another’s point of view, and sometimes cruelty.
What kind of people like?
Both men and women who often choose red are sexy and sensual. Enamored and passionate with their outfits, they show attraction or veil the lack of warmth and tenderness of the opposite sex.
Here are some more characteristics of people whose favorite color is red:
As a child, lovers of red can have a tendency to destruction. Constantly, like, and not on purpose, toys are broken. Peers may be wary of him, as you can expect everything from a brawler. Yes, and the child is inclined to risk and is constantly falling down and getting hurt. Parents of such a child needs a lot more attention and patience.
But your efforts are sure to pay off. Showing patience and patience, you will get reciprocal care. The kid is happy to help you, because it is important to show yourself. Do not forget to reinforce the cause of praise – “red” it needs as food. But the praise must be on the case to avoid arrogance.
People who prefer the color red love holidays and fun. They love surprises and like to make them themselves. They are attracted to everything that stirs the imagination and tickles the nerves. If it is a game, then with the effect of surprise. If it is a fairy tale, it is sure to be an adventure.
As the child grows up, his alarming parents features can sharpen or wane. With children of this type need to show wisdom, be sincere, accurately acquainted with different sides of life, to give food for thought. Then his search for truth and justice will be illuminated by the light of reason. And the actions caused by the desire to change the world will be filled with goodness. Your task – to direct his love of risk and adventure in a positive direction.
If you feel that your passion for the color red strongly affects the psyche, you are drawn to adventure and perhaps your impulsiveness often hinders you, often ask yourself the question “Why?” – Why am I going to do this or that? Why do I have this feeling that has now risen in me? Why do I keep doing a certain thing so that I regret it later?
This question helps you reflect and engage your brain and think through the action before you do the act.
Where does it apply?
The color red is always eye-catching, no matter what context it is applied in.
As a signal “Attention!” it is used in women’s clothing precisely to attract male attention. Indeed, it is difficult to remain unnoticed in the red dress – it is the most powerful and energetic color. Especially effective red evening dresses have a variety of textures and cuts. It is appropriate to wear them on social gatherings, and cocktail dress – on corporate parties.
At work, an excess of red can lead to a tense environment. The excess of red has an overwhelming effect, which may lead to repulsiveness. Therefore, it is recommended to use less bright colors in clothing. For example, a blouse of coral or crimson color will give brightness to an elegant image, and a dark maroon suit – solidity.
Appropriate accessories in restrained colors: handbags, shoes, scarves will create a confident and determined image.
Red shades in the lip makeup are common. Alluring can be as bright and juicy lipstick colors – scarlet, carrot, crimson, as well as more subtle and restrained – pink and coral. Recently, the eye makeup in red shades becomes fashionable, both evening and daytime. This eye makeup is suitable for owners of green, brown and blue eyes, but they should use very carefully and professionally, otherwise you can achieve the effect of “sleepless night”.
The femininity and sexuality will be emphasized with a red manicure. Modern designers offer a variety of its images and shades. Matte, with drawings, with sequins on the nails – it will satisfy any taste and occasion. Manicure of red shades will emphasize such your qualities as strength, sensuality, confidence, and the ability to achieve goals.
The dynamism of red color attracts active, purposeful people who like to be in the center of attention. This often determines their choice in favor of a red car. By the shade of “iron friend” one can determine the level of eccentricity of its owner and his possible aggressiveness. Contrary to the popular opinion that red cars are mainly chosen by ladies, the statistics shows, that they are chosen by men more often. Although it is not a secret, and the fact that ladies who choose red version, feel more confident, successful and attractive.
In the interior red color is more often used for decoration of the bedroom, to stimulate the interest of partners in each other.
In moderate doses, it would be appropriate in the dining room or in the kitchen, because of its ability to increase the appetite. By the way, restaurant owners also use this property, thus attracting visitors.
The red color used in advertising seems to bring the advertised object closer, attracts attention to it. The charge of this color is designed for impulsive behavior without unnecessary reflection. It is used in an erotic context to influence the male audience. Excessive use of red in advertising can, on the contrary, cause irritation and rejection.
A controlled use of red in everyday life will give you courage and confidence as well as inspire and stimulate your interest in life.
Combination with other colors
In general, the shades of red, black and white are primordial in almost all cultures of the world. Their interpretations are approximately as follows: white is light-good, black is darkness-evil and red is blood-life. Thus, this triad can be considered a combination of the original elements, a symbol of the beginning of the world.
The combination of white and red softens the choppy red and makes it more sublime. The sign of the emergency is exactly white and red, which speaks of service to people, selfless and unselfish love. This image is more suitable for the beautiful half of humanity, which they boldly use in their outfits: dresses, capes, shoes, flowers. Most of all, this combination will suit the color types of winter and spring. On many men, both blondes and brunettes, red and white ensembles will also look spectacular: office, sports, home.
White light makes the space appear larger, and red warms it up. Therefore, this tandem will enliven any interior.
Red and black is an alarming mix. But with a certain presentation can read as sexy. Red lip makeup combined with black shadows will help to create such an image and will be suitable for any color type.
The combination of red and black in the interior is hard to perceive. But diluting this pair with white or gray will be quite harmonious for strong-willed, dynamic natures and will effectively emphasize the interior style of high-tech.
What does scarcity lead to?
As a natural stimulant, red causes a surge of emotions, so the lack of it in the environment can lead to a decline of mood, passivity and depression (“de” – absence, “pressio” – impact). A person who dislikes or rejects red is more likely to have doubts and insecurities. He may lack the determination for a responsible step, or he prefers measuredness and peace. Aversion is characteristic of phlegmatic and melancholic.
Physiologically, the lack of red colors decreases appetite and slows down metabolism. The heart rate decreases. This leads to slower recovery of the body after illnesses, tissue regeneration may be impaired. Such individuals are more likely to get cold, unlike fans of red: they have good blood circulation and are always warm and even hot.
There is an unspecified link between the lack of scarlet and hemoglobin levels in the blood. One way or another, its effect on metabolic processes may stimulate or slow down the production of red blood cells, or red blood cells.
Red deficiency can cause symptoms such as lethargy, low blood pressure, frequent colds, and impaired vision. It can also lead to decreased potency and sexual dysfunction.
If you lack courage or self-confidence, if you feel that your life is dull and monotonous, with little joy and drive – lovingly bring red into it in clothing, furnishings, or little things. And you will notice that inspiration comes to you, your second breath opens, and you want to live and enjoy life!