Depression in the Georgian way.
Happiness is the slipperiest of all bars of soap, said Hugh Laurie, but you can’t argue with that. Being happy these days is difficult – a) there’s always something in the way and b) you know too much.
In ancient times, you caught a mammoth, ate it, and slept on straw. And happiness. And now? Chicken or fish. Mechanical or automatic. Like it or not like it. So many painful questions, so hard to move forward. And as a result of all kinds of deviations, phobias, depressions. And people sit at home with pills and no sea, no palm trees.
And for nothing. Because there is one small, but proud country, where everything disappears. Fat, yes, that’s a hint))
Georgia probably has slightly different depressions than other countries. If Steven from New York is depressed because he lost his job, Gogi from Akhaltsikhe will never be depressed – Gogi never had a job, there is no job in Akhaltsikhe. And that’s why he does not know this sorrowful feeling of loss. The feeling of “what am I going to eat today” is there, but there is no feeling of loss. If Sara in Rio de Janeiro is depressed by loneliness, then Darejan in Gori is not depressed by loneliness – her head will burst soon from a dozen relatives and two dozen neighbors above and below, who sing all day long, play the piano and backgammon, call her to try kharcho, watch a TV show and have a glass of pear. There’s not even a place to hang yourself: all the hooks are either hung with garlic and tsitsak, or there’s a clothesline strung across them. Don’t interfere, Tamazik, the laundry will dry later, your aunt’s pleasure.
Let’s say you have symptoms. Look what we’ll do here with your symptoms.
Suicidal thoughts – have you tried eating a special dish called “okra” with a pound of hot peppers? That’s when death is closer than ever.
Apathy, pronounced fatigue – and we’re not going to get fatigued. We’ll just drive halfway across the country, that’s all. You just sit there and look periodically to the right and to the left. Then put your hands up and do the lezginka a little bit, back and forth. With your feet tada-tada-tada. That’s all. Hold a glass and a fork a bit more and go to sleep. Did you raise your eyebrow? That’s it, you’ve got a reaction, it’s happening. That’s the first step to recovery.
Low self-esteem, please. Who but Georgians could show you how you can be madly proud of two outdated cobblestones, originally fermented grape juice, a piece of dough with ground beef and a couple of other trivial accomplishments. Learn ))
Marked weight loss or weight gain – hmmm. weight loss you can definitely overcome here. Throw out your anorexic fashion journals – a good person has to have a lot. When you’re struggling with depression, friends should bring ammunition.
Unstable appetite-Georgian food is creativity and enjoyment. Eat a lot, tasty and unstable. It’s a treat, and it’s certainly not a reason to be nervous in Georgia. Call your friends – the sounds of a savory side chewing partner will make your appetite so stable that your pants won’t button in a week.)) If you have more than you need, make the table wider, not the fence higher.
Feeling of worthlessness – dear genatvale, you, there you are, yes (sorry, what’s your name?) – you are my best guest and native person. I’ve been waiting for you for so many years! You have brightened my day with joy. I drink to you all the way standing up. – said the store clerk and drained a glass of red semi-sweet. There is no such thing as worthlessness in Georgia. You were created – it means someone needs you.
Insomnia – oh my God, what problem is that, friend? Have you seen how beautiful Tbilisi is at night? Let’s walk through Rustaveli at night, look at the evening lights, go into a groan, read poems to each other, recall our relatives, have a glass, talk, discuss everything. Doctors say that a glass of warm milk or kefir promotes falling asleep – they just do not know how to fall asleep shashlik on the barbecue, 70 degree pear chacha and choir of Georgian boys 38-69 years. And that’s all till morning. Was anyone here going to sleep?
Psychomotor excitement – that’s welcome, that’s where we are always for. Singing, dancing, waving our hands – sick or not, it doesn’t matter. And here psychomotor agitation – there is no such diagnosis, there are envious whispers of “look what a cheerful boy at 65. Don’t add years to your life – add life to your years.
Inadequate guilt – no, it’s nobody’s fault, it’s just the way it is. And all kinds of bastards are out there somewhere. You will never be called a specific bastard – it’s just the way it is and let’s hope for the best. The whole country has lived with this mantra for centuries, and you can not?
Irritability – say what you think all day long, don’t hide your real emotions. Use a Georgian cat instead of a heating pad. Hug a passerby. Throw your Amitriptyline in the trash. Look at the cheerful Georgian eyes through their frowning eyebrows. No one will respond to you with annoyance and so yours will fade away. Live one day with the good things you have now. If you can’t find happiness in life, look for meaning.
May I be pathetic now – Georgia is a place of resurrection of the soul. Especially when your neighbor’s Tamazik brings you a bowl of hot hashi with garlic in the morning. Mmmm. Come.
How to get out of depression on your own: tips from experts
Depression is a very common mental disorder nowadays, the causes and symptoms of which are well studied and described. There are also effective methods of its treatment. Specialists in the field of psychiatry must necessarily deal with the severe types of this illness, such as suicidal depression (obsessive suicide) and bipolar depression (severe mood swings, obsessive thoughts, exaggerated self-esteem, etc.). For other kinds of depression, there are supplementary professional help, and sometimes even replacing it, ways to give an answer to how to get out of depression independently. These are depressions such as:
- Adynamic (weakness, reduced capacity for work, rapid fatigue);
- Anxiety (feelings of anxiety);
- Hormonal, one subspecies of which is postpartum;
- crying (a constant desire to cry);
- anesthetic (loss of emotions);
- dysphoric (unreasonable irritability, attacks of anger and anger);
- ironic (difficult to define, as characterized by merriment and excessive talkativeness, teasing at others), and others.
WHAT PSYCHOLOGISTS SAY
First of all, to start fighting depression with your own strength, you need to know what cause caused it, and neutralize it. The most common “provocateurs” are:
- Surviving a personal tragedy at any age.
- Chronic illness.
- Constantly haunting stressful situations.
- Lack of vitamins.
- Improper nutrition.
- Bad weather, lack of sunlight.
- Problems at work and at home.
- A succession of failures.
- Lack of sleep, severe fatigue.
- A sudden significant change in life – the collapse of a business, getting fired, having to start something all over again, moving to another country, etc.
- Loss of a loved one.
- Abuse of alcohol and psychotropic drugs.
We can say for sure: depression does not “pop up” suddenly, like a pimple. This is how the psyche responds to important negative events for the person. The problems that caused the disorder should not be buried deep inside yourself, because then they poison the body from the inside, will become more global and can lead to serious mental or somatic diseases.
Reconsider your views on the situation – as they say, there is no way out except from the coffin! Life goes on – change your attitude to what is going on, don’t pay attention to squabbles and oblique looks. It is impossible to please everyone. If you need a frank conversation – talk frankly, dot your i’s. Work on yourself.
Exit from depression contributes to a number of steps to take, given the above. Their effectiveness has been proven by people suffering from different types of this disorder in their own experience.
A healthy diet makes you feel good physically and in a good mood. This does not include everything that is called fast food: big macs, grilled chicken, French fries. hot dogs, etc. These fast foods can poison the body, introducing many toxic substances. Meat can also be considered as dangerous in this sense.
Much more useful are fatty varieties of marine fish, nuts, hard cheese, fruits (especially bright colors), vegetables, seaweed. Chocolate is not a bad option, but you should be careful with it, because an excess of sweet can have a negative impact on your figure, and extra pounds can, in turn, again provoke depression.
2. Another great way to get out of depression is to normalize your sleep. You should not use any improvised “helpers” in order to fall asleep quickly and sleep well until the morning, without waking up because of every rustle (we mean sleeping pills or alcohol, although folk remedies in the form of decoctions will do). You can act in this way:
- Make it a habit to go to bed strictly at a certain time, not when you feel like it or as you can;
- The most natural regime of sleep for man – to fall asleep before midnight, but even better – at 10 pm and get up early. In this case, sleep has therapeutic restorative properties;
- Before going to bed it is inexpedient to watch the news, movies with negative connotations such as thrillers and horror movies, as well as reading something like that – it can provoke nightmares;
- dinner should be early and not dense;
- the bedroom should be aired out, you can take a warm bath, drink a glass of warm milk with honey, ask a family member to massage.
3. Physical activity is a great way out of depression. We live in an era of hypodynamia, we don’t move much, we lose little energy. But not so long ago, our grandparents, not to mention the distant ancestors, such a problem as depression, was not, though their life was not easy. They worked more physically, moved on foot, they did not have so many “smart” home appliances that made household chores easier.
That’s why we need to set aside some time a day for physical activity, whether it’s leisurely walks, jogging, working in the front garden or in the garden, doing fitness or exercising, or walking. Get outdoors more often, because it improves your metabolism and enriches your body with oxygen.
4. Positive thinking is very important for getting out of depression. Color depressive drabness with bright colors, think about the good, do good to people. Smile, look for the best in those around you. If someone is negative and there is nothing you can do about it, just minimize your communication with him or her.
5. Do what you like to do. Your favorite hobby or business will energize you, make it easier to rest after a hard day’s work, and distract you from your worries and bad ideas.
6. To get out of depression, you need to pamper yourself, to give positive emotions. For women, the role of a depressant is shopping. And it doesn’t matter what kind of purchases will be small or large, but they will still make you happy. By the way, shopping is good for men, but they will like not the jewelry, clothes or shoes, but something associated with their hobby: fishing gear, a gun for hunting, a tool.
Positive emotions will also give variety. It can be a trip, a trip to a restaurant, a movie or theater, a dolphinarium.
Lead a healthy lifestyle, get rid of bad habits and complexes, timely treat somatic illnesses that may occur, do not look inside yourself and do not whine, avoid stressful situations. You can get a pet – beloved pets have a positive therapeutic effect on people.
And now for the main thing: to get out of depression on their own, you need to appreciate every moment of your life. It’s given once and it should enjoy it, so that nothing should pass by. You should not dwell on failures, to consider any problem a global one. Throw everything out of your head, love and appreciate your loved ones, communicate, enjoy every minute.
THE PROGRAM OUT OF DEPRESSION PSYCHOTHERAPIST WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Richard O’Connor, in addition to being a certified specialist in the field of psychiatry, is also the author of many books that have become very popular because of the content and accessibility to understanding. They talk about many useful things: how to get rid of bad habits, how to become happy and how to get out of depression.
A psychotherapist considers depression to be not only a mental illness, but also a serious social problem. It must be treated by a specialist, relying on medication therapy and psychotherapy. But professional help is often not enough, since there is always a risk of relapse. Avoiding it will allow self-exit from depression, 12 basic principles which were formulated by O’Connor. They echo what was said above.
He writes that depression forces a person to think and behave in a certain way, and it becomes his inherent habits. They are what dictate an individual’s thoughts, feelings, and behavior. But it is possible to change the way of thinking, to set it on a different course, to change life in a more constructive direction.
So here are the principles to follow for an independent exit from depression:
1. Don’t avoid expressing your feelings, experience them. A person suffering from depression creates a defense mechanism to isolate himself from disturbing emotions, among which there are both unpleasant and pleasant ones. This deprives the individual of important life information – such anesthesia leads to the development of despondency and aggravation of the situation.
Experiencing emotions and expressing them are different things: the first we cannot control, but the second we can and should. You cannot be sure of the need to feel a certain way, because it destroys the personality.
That is why one should not be afraid of feelings, because both intense sadness and joy pass very quickly. Man is like a buoy: our emotions are constantly balancing, but eventually stabilize. So there is no need to suppress them: crying, laughing, asserting our opinions, etc. will improve the condition. You just need to show them in a place where you are understood, and you will certainly find support.
2 Look for the reason. Mood changes for a reason – there is a reason, and it is necessary to identify it. If this is difficult to do, it is useful to make a journal and write down the events preceding the episode of depression. Thanks to this it will be possible to find out exactly what the “culprit” is. This can be a difficult conversation, a dream, something heard or read, a memory, etc.
Knowing what is causing the upset contributes to how to get out of the depression. The situation can now be avoided or changed, and if both fail, it is better to come to terms with it and not take it too hard.
3. Do mindfulness meditation regularly. This will reprogram your brain, allow you to focus on yourself and eliminate obsessive anxiety. Mastering the skills of mindful living, not judging everything in black and white, accepting the world without distortions, not trying to control what is impossible, and enjoying every day is not easy, but it is possible.
Repeat the mantra (you can replace it with the phrase) “Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, give me the courage to change the things I can change, and give me the wisdom to distinguish one from the other” and it will work!
4. Exercise constantly. The brain preserves a person’s experience, and it changes chemically, electrically, and structurally with every thought, experience, and feeling. Depression damages it by remembering depressive habits. But we are able to create a new awareness, to “build” other, positive skills, viewpoints, and feelings, thereby healing the brain.
5. Get rid of depressive thinking. Away with pessimism, blaming yourself for all your sins and negative coincidences. Change your way of thinking, bad habits, and become confident in your abilities. Make a journal of dysfunctional thoughts to get rid of them, kick the inner critic out of yourself.
6. Get your priorities right. Doing things that don’t matter and don’t interest you leads to depression. Set your own values and follow them rigorously, even while making an effort. Don’t fall into bad habits, don’t let others interfere in your life, and strengthen your character.
7. Love Yourself. Learn to be proud of yourself-it gives you pleasure and a feeling of happiness. Write down in a notebook your achievements and good deeds, whatever they were – spontaneous or a set task. It is usually quite difficult for a person to feel proud of himself, but such discomfort can be quickly overcome.
Little joys are very important: good food, a pleasant smell, a comfortable chair, etc. Just pay mindless attention to them – the sensations are the main thing here.
You need to learn how to relax. Yoga, dancing, singing in a choir, swimming, aerobics can help.
Eat well, take care of your body and your health, don’t smoke and drink alcohol.
8. Speak directly. To be understood correctly, you should speak your desires to your loved one. Language should be unambiguous: what and how you say should coincide.
Depressed people usually think that they are not understood, that they are clumsy, prefer not to continue the conversation, shut up, withdraw into themselves. However, if they are unable to express their thoughts, it is better to pause, to concentrate and even to ask the interlocutor to ask questions.
In your turn, you should also listen attentively to what you are told, interrogate for a better understanding.
Communicate more, smile at people, be friendly. It is proven that extroverts are happy.
9. Find a hero. You need to identify a role model for yourself. It can be someone respected by everyone for his/her kindness, courage, self-sacrifice. Such a person can be both among the living and the departed. Of course, he necessarily has any shortcomings, but by his actions they deserve admiration.
Try to be like that person, and thus you will begin to respect yourself.
10. Show generosity. Of course, you can’t get out of a depression just by giving away money, participation, or sympathy. But reaching out to others in need can help you get rid of your frustrations. If charity is not possible, then you can become a volunteer.
The habit of generosity will break through self-isolation and make you respect and treat yourself better.
11. don’t be afraid of intimacy, open up to the person you love. Intimacy opens you stronger in front of him, he learns your doubts, secret fears, embarrassing secrets. This generates harmony in the couple – no more nothing secret, the masks are removed and you love the way you really are.
12. Ask for help in time. Learn to understand the signals that precede a depressive episode. “Ringing” can be discomfort in the stomach, irritability, a lump in the throat. For each person, such a signal is different, and if you notice it, then immediately, without delay, contact a specialist. Sometimes just one visit to a therapist can help prevent a serious relapse.
Take the medicine prescribed by your doctor – it’s not a sign of weakness, but a guarantee that nothing bad will happen.
Attend support groups, give close people orders in case you get really bad.
Being embarrassed to seek help is a symptom of depression, so it needs to be addressed.
Of course, as Richard O’Connor says, it is very difficult to live exactly by these principles. And it is not easy to master them. These new skills need to be practiced constantly, but this requires your great desire to beat depression.
It will take patience, time, and a lot of work on yourself, which will be accompanied by discomfort and anxiety. But gradually the new habits will become normal, and then recovery will come.