Hyaluronic acid and its effectiveness for facial skin
Hyaluronic acid was first mentioned at the end of the last century, when the first “beauty shots” based on the substance were given. The result of its properties – an incredible rejuvenating and refreshing effect. Today it can be achieved without going to the cosmetologist’s office.
Online diagnosis in 1 minute Get an online skin diagnosis and learn the SkinCeuticals treatment program that is right for you.
Ask a question to an expert Ask a question about your skin care routine or find an answer to one of our available recommendations
Online skin check-up Get an online skin check-up and find out which SkinCeuticals skincare regimen is right for you.
Ask a question to an expert Ask a question about your skin care routine or find an answer to one of our available recommendations
1 What is Hyaluronic Acid
This polysaccharide is present in every living organism. Hyaluronic acid was discovered in 1934 in the vitreous body of the eye. It is also found in the tissues of the nervous system, in bones and joints, intra-articular fluid, in the heart valve, and in all biological fluids of the human body.
About 50% of all hyaluronic acid in the body is concentrated in the skin.
This substance is synthesized in the body on a constant basis (although over the years its production decreases), and after some time also on a constant basis naturally disintegrates and is removed. Therefore, the effect of injections based on hyaluronic acid does not last indefinitely.
If there is significant dehydration, the hyaluronic acid will go to the deeper layers of the skin, which need intensive hydration. But visually the effect will not be as noticeable as we would like it to be.
Already after the age of 25 our own hyaluronic acid reserves start to gradually decrease, it is produced more and more slowly. Due to this lack of vital moisture, our skin, like all other organs, begins to age.
2 Benefits for your skin
Skin hydration is almost synonymous with youthfulness. And indeed, turgor, even skin relief, a clear facial contour – all this can be achieved with hyaluronic acid. SkinCeuticals medical expert Elena Lykova explains: “Hyaluronic acid supports the structures of the skin’s extracellular matrix, which is primarily responsible for its elasticity.
That is, it is as essential for maintaining facial freshness as moisture is for keeping fruit looking appetizing. Even the word “turgor,” by which consumers are used to refer to “firmness,” actually means that the medium is sufficiently moisturized.
- Hyaluronic acid is endowed with the ability to attract and retain (bind) water, thereby providing elasticity to the skin framework and strengthening it.
- Once on the surface of the epidermis, it forms a film that prevents the evaporation of moisture and simultaneously protects against harsh environmental factors.
- With good turgor (reliable hydration of the environment) such important components of the skin matrix as collagen and elastin are actively synthesized. Their production begins to slow down after the age of 25, partly due to a lack of hyaluronic acid.
- A healthy level of hydration also ensures a “young” rhythm of tissue regeneration. The skin becomes fresher, less vulnerable to damage, wrinkles are smoothed, dullness disappears.
3 Can Hyaluronic Acid Cause Harm
SkinCeuticals medical expert Elena Lykova states, “Since hyaluronic acid is naturally found in large quantities in a variety of body systems, it can do no harm when applied externally and injected under the skin.”
4 Cosmetic Applications
The journey of the magical hyaluronic acid into the cream jar was not an easy one. Large molecules are not difficult to inject into the skin. But how do you get them past the epidermal barrier in a cream?
“When applied topically, hyaluronic acid has pronounced moisturizing properties, but the large size of the molecules prevents it from penetrating deep into the skin. In this regard, low molecular weight, or fragmented, hyaluronic acid is used, that is, its fragmented molecules, their fragments. They penetrate the epidermis faster, easier and deeper and take effect”.
Elena Lykova, cosmetologist, director of SkinCeuticals in Russia
5 review of SkinCeuticals products with hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid booster serum H.A. Intensifier
A multifunctional serum that increases the amount of hyaluronic acid in the skin by 30%. It comes in three forms:
- High-molecular, that is, in the form of complete molecules that remain on the surface of the skin, preventing moisture from evaporating;
- Fragmented: able to penetrate the epidermis and retain moisture in deeper layers of the skin;
- encapsulated: combined with polymerized phospholipid and encapsulated in microcapsules to enhance the moisturizing effect.
Good for the heating season when the air at home is very dry. It moisturizes and nourishes the skin.
I use it at night. It does not accumulate, spreads well and is absorbed into the skin.
This product has long been my favorite, I use it without interruption, I love to apply it on my face after the serum with antioxidants, the face oval is tightened, fine wrinkles are reduced, I think it suits everyone. Consumption is not economical, but it’s worth it!
For the first time I received this serum in 15 ml as a gift with my order and I liked it very much! That’s why, next time I bought this serum in a 30 ml size. My skin is normal, dehydrated and thin. I found it very pleasant, light and not greasy. Thanks to the manufacturer!
The effect of hyaluronic acid is strengthened and secured by molecules of glycaside proxylan, extracts of wild rice and liquorice. 4-6 drops in the morning and in the evening help to increase hydration levels, and thus reduce wrinkles, increase skin density and improve skin texture.
Hydrating regenerating Hydrating B5 Masque
The mask contains a high concentration of hyaluronic acid, vitamin B5, components of the skin’s natural moisturizing factor (NMF) and panthenol, which stimulates regeneration.
- Increases the level of skin hydration and improves its characteristics.
- Gives a healthy look, smoothness, gives a comfortable feeling.
- It is suitable for both women’s and men’s skin.
I bought it on the advice of my beautician.
First of all, no one warned me that the mask burns my face, it becomes red and a little puffy, and this is normal. Is this the effect expected from a moisturizing mask? Neither me, nor my friends have never heard of such an “effect”. According to the experts, the mask burns for 10 minutes, I had an hour or more. I do not have any allergies and I do not understand which of the components of the mask it is possible in principle. To go out in the street with a red face after such “moisturizing” is embarrassing, if you need proof, ready to send.
Secondly, there was no moisturizing effect, not even the slightest, cheaper products and they worked better the times I tried to apply the mask.
The product is very expensive, and it hurt me to lose that money and throw it in the trash, because “it” is embarrassing to even give it to someone. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
I knew before I bought the product that the composition of the mask was mediocre and not worth the money, but the power of marketing took effect and my curiosity won. In the end, in addition to the lack of hydration, the product hardens on my face like cement, the only way to wash it off is to peel it off until my skin is red. In addition, the product is packaged in non-recyclable packaging, indicating that the manufacturer is irresponsible to the consequences of its activities. I regret the purchase and would not recommend it categorically!
I liked the mask and it fit. Good balance of volume, price and quality. I feel younger, more alert and fresh after using it. I can directly feel that the skin sucks moisture from the mask and as if it drinks it. And small wrinkles are less visible after using this mask. In addition, this mask can be a good gift for a relative or girlfriend. I use it with my mom and she likes it too. The tube is easy to store, it does not take a lot of space, stands on the lid and can be kept at room temperature. I would like to recommend it to anyone who is feeling dry or beginning to flabby skin. I bought it in another store, but now I want to order it here, because I am happy with the price and the possibility of getting it quickly at home.
The mask is very nice to put on and the gel texture is cooling when applied. I don’t feel a great pleasure to wash off the mask, because the film it creates is not easy to remove, it makes me want to put some cream after the mask.
Apply it before sleep. Unlike most other masks, there is no need to wash it off, just remove the excess with a napkin.
Phyto Corrective Moisturizing Soothing Gel
Used after aesthetic treatments to soothe sensitive, irritated skin. Hyaluronic acid in combination with plant extracts of olive leaf, grapefruit, mulberry, cucumber and thyme moisturizes and restores a fresh appearance.
The botanical ingredients in the gel are known for their soothing, healing and antimicrobial properties.
Hyaluronic acid for wrinkles
Hyaluronic acid is rightly considered a true elixir of youth in modern cosmetology. It’s been dubbed the “molecular sponge” for its ability to bind and retain moisture.
Does “hyaluronic acid” help from wrinkles and what are its useful properties? Let’s find out in this article.
What is hyaluronic acid?
It is a vital substance that is found as a carbohydrate in the tissues of living things. Despite its name, hyaluronate is not an acid in the usual sense. Scientifically speaking, hyaluronic acid is a polysaccharide (a large sugar molecule) with a high specific gravity and a long chain. Therefore the substance easily binds and retains water molecules (one molecule of hyaluronic acid can “magnetize” about 1000 molecules of water), which allows the skin for many years to remain moisturized and elastic.
Hyaluronic acid is found in almost all parts of our body, and its approximate weight in the body is 15 grams. Hyaluronate has positive effects on completely different structures and organs:
- maintains the health of the joints by protecting them from free radicals;
- is found in the vitreous fluid of the eye;
- is present in connective, nervous, epithelial tissues, preventing them from becoming saturated with moisture;
- is an integral part of cartilage, joints, lymph nodes;
- creates the basis for the repair of blood vessels;
- improves muscle strength;
- increases mental alertness;
- heals wounds faster;
- Helps produce collagen and elastin fibers.
Hyaluronic acid was discovered relatively recently – in 1934 by biochemists Carl Meyer and John Palmer.
Indications and contraindications
Since hyaluronic acid is found in many systems of the body, its additional use when applied externally, taken internally as a dietary supplement or injected under the skin does not cause allergies and adverse reactions.
The fact is that the substance, unlike other acids, has no dissolving or exfoliating properties. This fact has been proven on the basis of many scientific studies.
The field of use of hyaluronic acid in cosmetology is extremely broad:
- Maintaining skin hydration levels;
- reducing wrinkles;
- stimulate hair growth;
- change the contours of the face;
- lip augmentation.
Also due to its healing and moisturizing properties, the substance is widely used in the following cases:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee joint. Hyaluronate-based injections are injected into the knee and help prevent pain.
- Eye surgery. Hyaluronate drops reduce dry eyes that occur after surgery.
- Nasal sinus mucosa regeneration as a nasal spray.
Despite the widespread use of hyaluronic acid, as an injection it has a number of contraindications:
- Individual intolerance and allergies;
- the presence of inflammatory processes;
- cancer, autoimmune diseases;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- skin diseases;
- chronic diseases;
- blood clotting disorders;
In addition, adverse reactions after procedures may be due to inexperience, unskilled cosmetologist, as well as poor-quality material fillers.
The benefits of hyaluronic acid in the fight against wrinkles
Hyaluronic acid can be compared to a superhero that protects the youth of our skin. It’s all about its ability to attract and retain moisture. Skin layers are composed of almost 90% water. Under the influence of ultraviolet light, stress and cold it tends to evaporate, depriving the skin of the necessary moisture. Hyaluronic acid is a powerful hydrophilizer and it retains moisture. No other biological substance is able to retain as much water as hyaluronic acid. Therefore, up to a certain point, the face looks healthy, fresh and young, there are no age-related changes in the form of dryness and wrinkles.
What else is hyaluronic acid good for the skin?
- Together with collagen and elastin, it forms a subcutaneous framework, thanks to which the oval of the face remains clear and the skin – firm and smooth.
- It stimulates cell renewal.
- Creates a protective film on the surface of the epidermis, which prevents the penetration of aggressive environmental factors.
- Together with glycoproteins it forms the substance of the extracellular matrix.
- It removes wastes from the cells, including even those places where blood circulation is impaired.
Cosmetic treatments with hyaluronic acid
Half of the total volume of hyaluronate is located in the skin. But after 25 years of age, its reserves gradually diminish, and after 35 the production of the substance is reduced to a minimum. There is a lack of this substance, and therefore to prevent wrinkles, maintain youthfulness and elasticity of the skin it is necessary to get from outside hyaluronic acid.
The most common and proven methods of “introducing” the substance into the skin are injections. In less than 30 minutes, the preparation fills in wrinkles and folds, restores the damaged collagen-elastin structure, biorestructures the tissue and starts the process of producing its own hyaluronic acid. The duration depends on the individual characteristics of the patient and the amount of the injected substance, but on average the effect lasts up to 6 months.
Injections with hyaluronic acid can also be combined with other procedures. The only exception is acids with a low pH, such as glycolic acid, as they will inhibit the action of hyaluronic acid.
- Biorevitalization. This procedure is shallow precise punctures with high concentration of hyaluronic acid of non-animal origin with a minimum of excipients. Biorevitalization is prescribed as a course of treatment at intervals of 3-4 weeks. It is allowed to perform the procedure from 18 years of age, but the best results it shows when the patient is in the age range from 30 to 35 years. Due to the high content of hyaluronic acid, small wrinkles and folds disappear and deep wrinkles become less noticeable, skin tone improves, pigmentation development stops. It is perfectly suitable for removal of age-related changes in the skin of the face, neck and hands.
- Bioreparation. It is introduction of hyaluronic acid-based preparations with peptides, nucleotides and amino acids under the skin. Such cocktail reduces the gravitational ptosis of tissues, increases the natural level of hydration, stimulates collagen synthesis, removing superficial wrinkles. A course of 3 to 5 treatments 2-3 weeks apart.
- Mesotherapy. The author of the technique is the French doctor Michel Pistor. The procedure is similar to biorevitalization, but the fundamental difference is the composition of the injections. It is based not only on hyaluronic acid, but also on different vitamins, minerals, antibacterial elements and antioxidants. Due to this, mesotherapy has great potential for elimination of aesthetic problems: enlarged pores, acne, pigmentation, scars and stretch marks. The procedure activates rejuvenation and metabolic processes at cellular level, restores hydrolipidic mantle, elasticity, reduces skin dryness and wrinkles depth.
- Contour plastics. It is a non-surgical method of modeling appearance through the introduction of fillers based on hyaluronic acid under the skin. The procedure corrects the shape, volume and asymmetry of the face, lessens wrinkles, raises cheekbones and low set brows – does everything to make you glad about your reflection in the mirror.
Hyaluronic acid-based products can help correct fine lines and wrinkles in any age, since hydration is essential for healthy, beautiful skin. Fractured molecules of hyaluronic acid are used in the composition of cosmetics, so the substance penetrates more easily and deeply into the epidermis.
The chemical specificity of hyaluronate allows converting it into a liquid, gel-like or thicker consistency. Therefore, for your convenience, you can choose any form that suits you.
Cream. Suitable for the daily beauty routine. It is applied to cleansed skin of the face and neck. Any type of skin will be grateful for the care of itself with a cream with hyaluronic acid, as it instantly gives a sense of hydration and freshness. In the morning, it is advisable to apply the cream half an hour before makeup to give it time to dry.
Serums . This step in care will both moisturize and reduce transepidermal moisture loss, activating the skin’s systemic defenses. A good “companion” to hyaluronic acid is the thermal water in the composition of the product. Together, they will smooth out your skin and prevent the appearance of new wrinkles.
Masks. Most often used as an express facial remedy when the loss of moisture is noticeable. Tissue masks based on hyaluronic acid instantly give a big dose of hydration, while not taking much time. Just “put it on” your face, and you can continue to do household chores. At the end of the time (most often 15-20 minutes) it is necessary to rinse off the rest of the substance.
How to smooth wrinkles with hyaluronic acid at home
Help wrinkles smooth out at home can be done in two ways: taking dietary supplements or eating food rich in hyaluronic acid.
Various studies have shown that taking 120 mg to 240 mg of hyaluronic acid supplements over a period of several months quickly improves skin hydration. But each product has contraindications, so be sure to check with your doctor.
An additional source of hyaluronic acid can also be obtained through nutrition.
For example, these foods can help prolong skin elasticity and firmness :
broth and cold cuts;
Natural red wine in small quantities;
Over the years, the amount of hyaluronic acid in the tissues decreases, but it is not a cause for sadness. After all, there are many additional sources of “beauty molecule”. And if you add to cosmetic and beauty treatments a healthy lifestyle, exercise and positive thinking, you’ll look twice as young and beautiful!