How to learn to cut and sew
Welcome to the School of Sewing! And if you are reading these lines, so the desire to learn to sew you already have! The only thing that remains to understand how to master this interesting and exciting occupation and learn how to sew a high quality, well-fitting on the figure products.
Our portal will help you learn to sew – learn how to correctly take measurements, pattern-bases build products, will help figure out the additions to the fit, will give master-classes on sewing operations, ready-made models with patterns, etc. So, here’s your super-system of learning from Anastasia Korfiati.
- How to learn to cut and sew clothes yourself
- Super 10-step system
- Step 1: the necessary set of sewing tools
- Step 2: learning to sew without mistakes
- Step 3: learn the ABCs of sewing
- Step 4: learning how to get measurements right
- Step 5: start with simple patterns
- Step 6: very important additions
- Step 7: basic patterns – the beginning of the beginning!
- Step 8: Our Workshops are the Key to your Success
- Step 9: improve your skills
- Step 10: enter contests!
Super 10-step system
Step 1: the necessary set of sewing tools
First, buy a set of sewing tools. You can’t do without quality tools. You can buy the essentials, and buy the rest over time. Definitely, at the initial stage you will need a tape measure, iron, scissors, threads, needles and of course, a sewing machine.
Sewing tool kit for sewing
Step 2: learning to sew without mistakes
Learn the 10 mistakes beginner tailors make and try not to make them. After all, every mistake leads to disappointment, and you can’t have that!
10 mistakes made by aspiring seamstresses
Step 3: learn the ABCs of sewing
Learn sewing terms. Sewing terms are the alphabet of sewing, and without knowing the alphabet, you can’t learn to speak.
Step 4: learning how to get measurements right
Taking measurements seems very simple only at first glance. However, mistakes made when taking measurements can add extra centimeters when constructing basic patterns. Learning how to correctly measure
How to learn how to measure
Step 5: start with simple patterns
Simple patterns are the perfect place to start for those who want to learn how to sew. You can get experience and not be disappointed with the result. Dress patterns for beginners – simple and straightforward
Simple patterns are the place to start!
Step 6: very important additions
To ensure that the sewn garment “fits” the figure, when constructing basic pattern patterns add add additions according to the chosen silhouette. If you understand how to do them correctly, the result will always be perfect. We deal with additions to the fit
Working with the fit allowances.
Step 7: basic patterns – the beginning of the beginning!
Choose the model you like and make a pattern-base for a skirt, dress, blouse, jacket, coat, pants. We recommend starting with a skirt – it’s easier to sew a skirt and the result is always great. As you gain experience, go on to more complicated models.
Basic dress pattern
Step 8: Our Workshops are the Key to your Success
Take our Sewing Master Classes. They will tell you very clearly how to perform a particular sewing operation. Our sewing tips and step-by-step photos will help you sew each step.
Step 9: improve your skills
Learning to sew like a pro – the clean underside
You can learn to sew all your life, constantly improving your skills and reaching new heights in this interesting creative activity. The Pro’s Tricks section will help you constantly learn new things about sewing.
Step 10: enter contests!
Participating in various sewing contests adds incentive and keeps you in great sewing shape! Be sure to participate in such contests every chance you get. On our site, for example, there is an annual dress contest called Spring Renewal. Its participants are very creative, beautiful and courageous women who are on their way to success. We’re waiting for pictures of your work and will be happy to publish them on the site!
Marina Matveeva, the winner of the “Spring Renewal 2015” dress contest
Remember – in order to learn to sew competently, you need to master the basic operations. If you don’t get something right the first time, don’t get upset and don’t rush to drop everything. In sewing, as in any business, the main thing is practice. Try again, take your time, clearly perform all the actions described below.
So, step by step you will come to the fact that there is nothing more simple than sewing a sleeve or making a collar on the rack.
If you’re overwhelmed by the desire to finish everything quickly, you start to rush and make mistakes – stop. Say to yourself – STOP! So no good will come out, the seams of the product will be crooked, rimmed sleeves – wrinkle and you will not bring any pleasure to wear it.
And another tip – treat yourself critically (but without fanaticism!). Do not be content with what you do not like and find excuses – little experience, little time, etc.
If you don’t like a stitch – dissolve it and do it again until you are satisfied with the result, the same goes for all other operations – whether it’s a leaf of a jacket, a rolled sleeve, a stand-up collar or a shirt placket.
Everything has to be done “perfectly”. Success to you and great sewing victories!
How to learn to sew and cut from scratch? 6 tips for beginners to learn to sew and cut easily
Want to learn how to sew and cut things from scratch? How to easily make yourself an adorable sweatshirt in one evening? 6 tips from an experienced craftsman on how to easily learn to cut and sew.
- 9 minutes to read
- 11 Comments
Decided you want to learn to sew, but don’t know where to start? Knowing how to cut and sew will help in many situations when you need to hem a skirt, make new curtains or a child’s costume for a children’s matinee. Afraid that nothing will work out and you’ll waste a lot of time?
Let go of these fears, learn to sew and learn basic skills can be almost at any age. The main thing to learn so that not only to save money, but also to earn.
Read our article to learn how you can learn to sew simple and fashionable things in one evening without much effort.
The article will tell you:
Why you need to learn to sew and cut from scratch ?
Store shelves are bursting with an abundance of dresses, and you still have to walk around looking for the right size? Tired of buying new clothes for your children, as they grow up too fast? Why then you still don’t have a dressmaker’s pins and a pattern in your hands!
Imagine how much you get when you learn to sew. You won’t have to go to an atelier just to fit a skirt or pants. When sewing clothes for yourself, you and only you choose the details of your future clothes: color, style, length, accessories. And best of all – each product will sit on you perfectly. Do not forget about the significant savings of money and a pleasant pastime.
The ability to neatly and beautifully sew is an opportunity to earn money from your hobby.
Don’t you think it is? Read our article and we’ll convince you otherwise.
Let’s start at the beginning
There are several basic professions in sewing: seamstress, tailor, fashion designer. Do not think that by learning to sew, you can only be a seamstress. Tailors and fashion designer are not only able to sew clothes qualitatively, but also participate in the whole process of creating clothes – from the idea to sewing.
Let’s understand the terminology.
Do not be alarmed when you see the word fashion designer. So call a specialist who creates patterns, knows how to select fabrics and sew professionally. He selects materials and decorative elements so that even the most daring ideas of the designer can be realized.
So, choose what you want to learn and we’ll help you navigate.
How do I learn to cut and sew?
Option 1 (for the motivated): Learn to cut and sew clothes professionally
In order to work in an atelier or on your own, you need to consider that your main task is to learn how to properly build cut-outs. Then you will become a real fashion designer.
Become such a specialist, you can take professional courses in cutting and sewing. Full course must necessarily teach clothes design, work with professional equipment, modeling clothes for different types of figures. During the classes you will practice practical skills (cut, sweep, sew) and learn how to change the bobbin without assistance, learn many practical subtleties and secrets of sewing.
After thorough training on the course you will be able to do any product.
Even complicated items such as classic coats or strict business suits. You will be able to get a job in an atelier, sew clothes to order or professionally create clothes for yourself.
Prices for professional sewing and tailoring courses in Moscow and St. Petersburg start at 1,500 rubles and reach up to 25,000 rubles.
The course duration varies from 40 to 150 hours.
Option 2 (for the economical): Learn to cut and sew things for yourself and loved ones
For these skills it is enough to take basic courses or courses on individual complex products, such as coats, pants or shirts. During the training you will learn how to take measurements, cut and master straight stitching. This knowledge is enough to independently make patterns, fitting them to the right size, choose fabrics, competently stretch parts. You will be able to sew almost any thing from the basic closet.
Prices for basic courses in sewing and tailoring in St. Petersburg start at 2 500 rubles.
The duration of classes from 20 to 50 hours.
Option 3 (for beginners): Try to make a pattern with your own hands and sew a simple but good thing
Try the one-day master classes on sewing specific items. You’ll experience being both a seamstress and a dressmaker. After finishing the course you will be able to sew with your own hands something to wear every day or to wear on holidays. For example, a trendy sweatshirt, a new skirt or lace underwear. For the first time is very tempting, isn’t it? At the same time and understand, will it be worth your suffering or not.
Prices for workshops on cutting and sewing in St. Petersburg start at 1500 rubles.
The duration of classes from 4 to 10 hours.
Inspired and decided that you will go to the courses of cutting and sewing? Excellent, the main thing – do not rush to buy up in a store the most beautiful lace or fabric for dresses. You should be more careful with the choice of courses. If you decide to spend money to learn the profession of a dressmaker or seamstress, even from the very basics, it is worth taking as much training as possible.
- Try to find a master or studio with good reviews, and a clear program of courses – so you know what you are paying money for and what skills you will acquire.
- The course group should consist of a maximum of 7 people – then the master will definitely pay attention to you and help you if something goes wrong.
- Ask the organizers what is included in the cost and whether they will provide working tools for the duration of the training.
Is it possible to learn to sew and cut from scratch on your own?
Yes – you can find many websites on the Internet with detailed instructions, patterns and tips. They can help you learn to cut and sew on your own, even if you’re starting from scratch.
Look for informative articles with photos or video tutorials, which describe in detail every step in cutting things. Nowadays, authors on any thematic resources lead whole courses of video tutorials, where they talk about types of fabrics, tools, types of shapes, classic beginner mistakes, and much more.
Learn to sew and cut from scratch on your own can help you :
- Sewing theme sites/forums;
- magazines about sewing (Burda, Sheek);
- video lessons on YouTube.
Of course, to become a professional tailor learning only at home may not work, but to master the basic skills of tailoring and to get a hand on an even stitching you will definitely learn.
Tools required for sewing
For beginners, you will need only the basic necessary materials. A sewing machine and a cutting table will be provided to you at the course. Most organizers allow you to sew at their place for free, even after you finish the course. Which is very convenient if you are not yet ready to buy your own sewing machine.
Working tools that you will need for sewing beginners
1) Sharp tailor scissors – one ring of the handle is noticeably larger than the other, and the blades are sharpened, relative to the handle at a certain, not right angle. The large handle is needed so that you can grasp it with four fingers, because you sometimes have to apply considerable force. By the way, tailor scissors are available not only for the right hand, but also for the left hand.
2) Thread – good threads are very important for quality sewing. Categorically do not recommend the use of old cotton thread from the Soviet model – this is the cause of poor uneven stitching and frequent thread breaks. It is boring and useless to specify in detail the technological features of sewing threads of different kinds. It is only worth saying that for sewing modern fabrics, it is better to use synthetic thread marked “100% polyester” on the bobbin. They have a much better twist, they are strong, elastic and thin, easily slip on the details of sewing machines, overlocks.
3) Hand sewing needles are used for sewing or repairing garments. They come in sizes from #1 to #12, where #1 is the thinnest. Choose a needle for hand sewing in the same way as for machine stitching, guided by the fabric.
What basic needles for hand sewing should I choose for a beginner?
4) Sewing machine needles – A sewing machine needle’s purpose is identified by the letters in its marking. For example, needle 130/705 H-M is for thin, dense fabrics.
5) Tailor pins – they directly interact with the fabric, it is important to choose them correctly. Otherwise you risk inadvertently ruining your future product.
6) A piece of chalk or tailor’s crayons – some craftswomen use bubble-boards that remain in the household instead of special chalk. Such a washcloth can be used to make thin, inconspicuous lines that easily disappear after washing the finished product.
7) Paper to transfer the pattern – here everyone will have their own convenient option. Some use tracing paper, some use plastic wrap, and some use greenhouse film. It is important that for you it is a convenient material. It is better to transfer it to a thick material if you plan to use the pattern often.4
Afraid that you won’t be able to find everything you need in your town? Buy a beginner seamstress kit on Aliexpress . Do not forget to study the reviews before buying, so you get quality materials, not a cat in a poke.
How to choose a sewing machine?
A good sewing machine is the most expensive and most profitable investment for a tailor or seamstress.
If you want to develop as a professional tailor in the future, think seriously about buying a good sewing machine. A quality machine with all the necessary features at the stage of training and types of stitches is 6-10 thousand rubles. With a good choice it will be your reliable friend for several years.
Look for your machine among the leaders in the production of sewing machines. Of European manufacturers are such – Bernina, Pfaff, Husqvarna, Asian manufacturers – Janome, Brother, Juki, Jaguar. At merit and evaluated the products and American brand Singer .
We have studied the reviews on Yandex.Market and found that for beginners are well suited :
At the time of training you can buy a machine from the hands, and then buy a more professional unit. If you still have your grandmother’s old machine, try starting on it.
Useful tips for sewing
It’s no secret that the most important part of creating any costume is the pattern. It is also the most difficult. A crooked seam will not make you happy, but fixing it is much easier than redrawing the whole suit if you made a mistake with your calculations.
We have prepared tips for beginners to help avoid serious mistakes.
So, remember them and take it to an automatic practice.
- Measure accurately. Understand the types of male and female figures. Watch a video tutorial on how to measure different body parts. Then practice on your family members, or even animals.
- Build your pattern to your measurements . A pattern is a labor-intensive process, where you definitely can’t do something “by eye.” To build a pattern for a beginner will help specialized magazines, where there are already ready-made patterns and it remains only to transfer them to the fabric. Before you start, it is worth watching video tutorials, and start only with simple products.
- You will learn the basic terms. You will be searching for information on sewing, watching videos, and studying magazines with patterns. Be prepared that you’ll have to know and use a thematic vocabulary and understand the terms beforehand. For example, learn what the difference is between a lengthwise thread and a crosswise thread and why you need a backstitch cushion.
- Practice even stitching . Take leftover fabrics and stitch them as your heart desires. Try making your own round tack (the perfect circle is not that easy!), home textiles, toy and animal clothing.
- Take advantage of themed resources – get inspired, improve your skills, and learn some tips and tricks
- Find a mentor . More often than not, people stop learning when the material is incomprehensible and there is no help. Find yourself an idol or mentor whose work you will be inspired by. Pick up new ideas, experiment with patterns and outfits for yourself and family. Don’t be afraid to write in the blogs of special groups or ask questions under the videos on topics that interest you.
Where to look for useful tips and inspiration if you are a seamstress:
- Social media groups, with patterns, tips, color palette picks and more (e.g: With my own hands, a group with downloadable pattern examples, various homemade supplies and ideas).
- Videos on YouTube – all the manuals in clear examples: the rules of cutting out complex things, with comments and instructions, decoration ideas, various master classes (eg: Sew Easily, a channel with which you can sew any children’s clothes and toys).
- Thematic forums – here it is easy to find companions in spirit, ask for advice or ask for help with a pattern;
- Sewing magazines – trends for the new season, and a lot of patterns that are not so difficult to fit a master with experience.
- In your spare time, try to make up your own clothing line. This simple practice of working out details and style will help you decide on your preferences and better understand what kind of thing you want to sew.
The main thing is not to be afraid – the head is afraid, the hands do. We must take orders, even at a trifle price, and sew. Spit in all directions, in a particularly difficult situation, drink a teaspoon of brandy and coffee, and keep going.
It is also important to learn how to make patterns. If you can’t do it yourself, find someone who can teach you. Sometimes you can make a product in two hours, and sometimes you can’t make anything at all. At this point, there is a risk of making a lot of mistakes that are hard to correct. At times like this, I turn on Scarlet O’Hara with her “I’ll think about it tomorrow.”
Svetlana Ukhmakova, head of Atelier “Turn on the Light.”
Let’s recap. How do you learn to sew and cut from scratch? To do this you will need to:
1) Decide for yourself what you want to be able to do: sew basic things or build patterns or make full-fledged sketches 2) Choose a mentor or inspirer to help you get the hang of it and point out mistakes 3) Practice and sew regularly on your own 4) Watch themed video channels and groups 5) Look for new ideas for inspiration!
If you’re serious about taking up sewing, don’t quit even after the first small setback. With proper practice, you will acquire a good practical skill that will allow you to create unique, beautiful things not only for yourself. If you want, you can earn money on individual tailoring, in a pinch – you can moonlight in the atelier. Good luck to you!