How to achieve success in life?
Many people talk about success. Meanwhile, to begin with, not everyone is ready for a clear and precise answer: what is success? What goals does it involve?
There are two questions which at the end of life any of us can answer in order to judge how successful and worthy life was, whether it was successful or not:
1. Did you do everything you set out to do? Did you achieve the goals you set for yourself?
2. were the people around you happy with you?
According to Stephen Covey, the key to success and the meaning of life is not saving up and gaining money, social standing, social status, etc. The true measure of success is the contribution one has made to the benefit of people.
At the level of goal-setting, without realizing the importance of this stage, about 80% of people “fail. Accordingly, the final result of all 80%, despite the efforts made, the time spent on achieving false goals and the degree of their achievement will be problematic to call success. But even defining a worthy goal is only the first, although the most important step on the road to success. It’s just as important to take a “day-to-day memo” with you when you go.
The principles of success
Numerous studies of the phenomenon of successful people have led psychologists to the conclusion that success is not a villa in Malaya or Crete, not a cherished million in the bank – but, above all, a realized inner potential, self-actualization through a system of inner values, love, and creativity. As Stephen Covey believed: a person achieves success when he/she equalizes the values of individual values with eternal and universal values. Values are a person’s guide, the end result is determined by principles.
1. Heading toward success, change character
At the core of our personality are our habits, presented as consistent, often unconscious patterns. Daily and hourly, they express our character. Character defines our lives and is the foundation of our lives. Its limits of resilience ultimately define the limits of our possibilities. Therefore, if you intend to change your life and achieve something significant and seemingly unattainable, begin to change character.
Decide on your priorities.
The trick to success is not determining what your plan should include. It’s that it must relate to your priorities. So write out and map out your priorities, because what doesn’t get planned won’t get done. Once you’ve identified your priorities, align each of your days with them.
3. Always Remember the Most Important Thing
It’s imperative that you always hold what is your highest priority. On the way to your goal, keep the big picture in mind and don’t lose sight of what’s most important to you. Unfocused attention is one of the most common causes of failure. It is not enough to start moving in the right direction, it is important not to stray from the right path, not to turn away from it, distracted by extraneous things.
4. Engage the tools of the imagination
Build your life according to your imagination, not your history. Imagination is the only tool at our disposal that can “scroll” through our future in advance. How do we use this advantage? – Create in your imagination an image of your desired future. Otherwise, you won’t get very far by constantly “looking in the rearview mirror.” You will be able to imagine an image of your bright future and believe in it, then you will be able to achieve success and realize your goals.
5. Prioritize and solve critical tasks first
It’s impossible to stay on the road to success if you can’t determine and solve critical tasks first, and minor and unimportant ones the rest of the time, if possible.
6. Choice, Principles, Flexible Thinking
Choice, principles = values, and flexible thinking are prerequisites for accomplishing your goals. You will change your life and achieve true success if you choose your goal and align it with your eternal values, and think flexibly along the way.
7. Reigning Destiny
As Stephen Covey said, “We are not animals. We are not the product of what happened to us in the past. We have the power of choice.” By making decisions and acting with care, we can bypass the constraints of external conditions and achieve our goals.
8. “Sharpen the saw.”
Continuously improve your knowledge and skills – the demands on them increase in proportion to the scale of the goal.
9. Start by envisioning an end goal
Having an end goal will allow you to focus all your attention on it, to make conscious and directed efforts, to rationally spend time, mental energy and material resources necessary for its achievement.
10. Don’t be a slave to circumstance, reshape destiny according to your idea of happiness
Flexible and fixed mindset
A person’s success depends directly on the flexibility of his thinking. This fact is confirmed by many years of research by Carol Dweck, who confirmed that absolutely everyone can be assigned to one of two categories – people with a fixed mindset (FM) or people with a flexible mindset (GM). The second conclusion, also based on the results of statistics – people with a flexible mentality reach significantly greater heights in life than representatives of the first category. What is the reason for this difference?
People with GM are convinced – the intellect can and should be developed, the goals should be bold and big. They believe: a person’s abilities are limited only by the strength of his intention to achieve the goals. They consider mistakes and failures as a useful experience, which opens for them new knowledge, an opportunity to become more perfect and accurate in the future. Success for people with GM is not an end goal, but a byproduct on the way to their goals. Success, is not a gift from above, but the result of a directed application of a certain amount of effort.
Continuous development, learning new things and improving already acquired skills is an obligatory component of their life plan, their “growth mindset”. Their credo: without risk there is no progress, talent is secondary, purposeful effort is decisive, my imperfection is to blame for my failures.
People with FM firmly believe: talent, level of ability and intelligence are once and for all determined by nature. Accordingly, the amount of effort required to achieve a particular goal is determined by talent. If an endeavor requires a lot of effort, then there is no talent or ability. Such a path, according to their logic, is wrong and not worth pursuing, and it’s worth looking for something else. They regard their own or someone else’s failures as a sign of limited capacity of intellect or natural abilities. On the contrary, they consider an accidental success to be a clear evidence of giftedness and easily connect it with the final goal of the endeavor. They adhere to a “givenness attitude”, do not set big goals, are not inclined to take risks, and give up easily. Failures completely knock them out of the loop and encourage them to blame everything on the environment and circumstances, because the first thing they care about is the opinion of others. Living by the principle “estimate and be estimated,” they seek to appear better than they really are, which often leads to failure and easily identify themselves as losers.
Life is not a career, but a mission
From the above it is clear: leadership as a defining parameter of success is not a position, but an individual choice of a person. On the road to success one should not forget the principles rooted in moral values. Mahatma Gandhi, who became the leader of a nation without having the official status of a politician or an office, is a brilliant confirmation of this thesis. The pursuit of a noble goal enables a person not only to improve his skills and abilities, but also to grow spiritually and live up to it. Such a path to success is not only a struggle for the end result, but also the service of one’s personal mission.
Where we go in this life is ultimately determined by ourselves, not by society, everyday life, politicians, or our immediate environment. As Stephen Covey said, “We are not limited by the achievements of our parents or the achievements of our colleagues. We are able to achieve almost anything we are able to believe in. And we can do anything if we only believe that it is possible.
How to succeed in life: detailed instructions
Everyone dreams of being successful, but to most people this dream seems unattainable. We often tend to blame circumstances, social injustice, or a lack of career prospects or connections. This misconception prevents most people from succeeding in life. But if you define your goals and focus on achieving them, no obstacle can keep you from being successful. In this article we will dissect in detail what success is, and what are the most important steps on the road to success. Let’s begin.
What is success?
Everyone perceives success differently. For some people it’s a dream job with active career advancement, for others – the implementation of their own projects, for others – a successful personal life. And everyone has different ambitions: some dream of dizzying success and worldwide fame, and someone would like to sail peacefully and quietly on a yacht in the Mediterranean Sea.
Putting aside the “resource” approach and not measuring happiness in terms of money, a successful life is about doing what you love and not limiting yourself in the realization of your possibilities. Today we live in a world where everyone can achieve success in life, regardless of the state of their parents and initial social status. So what is stopping most people from taking advantage of this opportunity?
The qualities of a successful person
A person can be called successful if he or she finds his or her vocation and achieves his or her goals, engages in interesting work, and enjoys all areas of life. Such people set their own goals and look for ways to achieve them. Many people think that the everyday life of successful people is interesting and carefree. But life often throws them difficulties and troubles, they just know how to quickly cope with tasks of any complexity.
Each person can achieve success in life, managing to develop a number of qualities peculiar to successful people. These include:
- Confidence in their own abilities. Any case should begin, being confident in the positive result. This gives strength and helps to work towards their goals, even when there is a long way to go.
- Hard work . As a rule, all successful people work hard, even when they become billionaires. It is important not only to achieve success, but also to maintain the result achieved by constant work and development.
- Perseverance . Successful people do not give up after several unsuccessful attempts and always try again and again. A great example is Thomas Edison, who failed 10,000 times before making the major scientific discovery of his life.
- Optimism . It is difficult to take on a task if you are unsure of the possibility of realizing a goal. But if you put all doubts aside and gain confidence in your abilities, the probability of success increases many times over.
- Persistence . Successful people do not tend to lose their emotional balance in difficult situations. Any failure or difficulty for them – just an obstacle to be worthily overcome.
The most successful people are characterized by all of these qualities, but to succeed in life is possible, having at least some of them. Check yourself – how many of these qualities could you attribute to yourself? This will provide insight on what else you need to work on. Now let’s move on to the main part of the article.
The Road to Success: The 7 Key Steps
Although the concept of success is individual to everyone, but there are some universal factors that have already helped millions of people to succeed. The most convenient instructions are step-by-step, so let’s break them down into 7 main steps:
1. Set goals.
It’s hard to move towards your main goal in life if you don’t decide where it is. A successful person always has clearly defined goals – for today, for a week, for a month, for the next few years and for life. Only by clearly articulating the conditions necessary to achieve the goal, you can develop a plan that will allow you to succeed in life.
2. Think not about the problems, but the ways to solve them.
Successful people don’t get discouraged; they see failure as a valuable experience. Everyone faces problems, and the only difference is perception. People who are aware of the responsibility for their own lives, do not dwell on failures, and look for ways to promptly eliminate the consequences. Learn to act rationally in any situation-it won’t waste time on unnecessary worries.
3. Do what you love
People who make the most out of what they love are considered the happiest. What prevents you from doing the same? Make a list of the things you enjoy doing and think about how you can benefit from them. You may find an unexpected source of income. Drawing and creating animations, creating a website, recording videos of your favorite recipes – all these things can bring money and pleasure at the same time.
4. Learn to think positively
Negative emotions are the most dangerous stealer of energy and time. That’s why so much attention is paid to techniques that allow you to switch to positive thinking. Try making a “success diary” and writing down a few positive events each day. This powerful technique quickly corrects “negativists” by reminding them that there are many events in life, and good ones happen every day, too. There is a detailed article on how to properly keep such a diary.
5. Live for today.
Dreaming of starting a business, doing charity work, creating a cool Internet service or writing a bestseller? Such a dream can take several years to realize, which is why many people plan to “start on Monday.” People procrastinate because they are waiting for the right moment. Nothing prevents them from devoting at least a few hours a week to achieving their dreams. But weeks, months, and years go by, and they do nothing. Just remember, the right time is now.
6. Don’t dwell on setbacks.
Unpleasant events happen to everyone. But one perceives them as a reminder that the world is not perfect and you need to be strong. The other decides that the world is unfair to him personally, and depressed. It is impossible to build a life so that failure does not happen at all, but to manage their own perceptions can help everyone. Think of these situations as good experiences that make you stronger and wiser.
7. Improve yourself .
To succeed in life, you have to keep getting better. To dream of doing well without making a conscious effort to improve yourself is like dreaming of losing weight without changing your lifestyle. All successful people work on themselves: they educate themselves, exercise, look for ways to distribute their time efficiently. They don’t engage in useless activities like computer games or carefree social networking. Time is the most valuable resource in life, and it’s not acceptable to waste it on things that have no real value.
The principles of a successful personality
The foundations for success are the inner qualities of the individual. Entire books are written about these qualities, but if we highlight the main ones, the principles of a successful personality include the following:
- Self-sufficiency . A successful person determines his/her own life priorities and goals by himself/herself, without paying attention to the opinion of others and without needing approval.
- The ability to forgive. Being offended is a destructive feeling that consumes emotional energy. If you are offended by someone close to you – forgive, if you are offended by someone else – just forget about his existence. This will free you from a heavy moral burden, preventing self-fulfillment.
- The ability to conserve energy . Hard work is a good trait, but you do not need to squander all the effort, otherwise the work you love can become unpleasant.
- Lack of perfectionism . This tendency can be useful, but it prevents most people from succeeding in life. Perfectionism makes you spend an inordinate amount of time on every little thing, improving the quality of the result only slightly. Don’t strive for perfection, just do it well.
- The ability to distract and switch. Life consists of several areas, and each area needs to be fully given. When you work, don’t think about worldly concerns, and when you spend time with your loved ones, don’t think about work.
- Know how to say “No!” . Most people do not know how to refuse when they are called to a meeting, asked for something or offered an unprofitable job. Successful people always act rationally – it’s impossible to talk them into doing something they don’t want to do.
- Benevolence . A successful person is friendly to others, encouraging and happy when they have achieved significant achievements in life. He is polite, does not boast of his achievements and knows how to listen to the interlocutor without interrupting. Pay attention to the way your acquaintances behave, and you will realize that these traits are characteristic of successful people. Unsuccessful people are usually negative, envious and inclined to gloat.
Health is the foundation of success
Physical and mental health – an important factor that helps to achieve success in life. Keep your body healthy and your mind clear of unnecessary worries and your business will go much better. In the pursuit of success in business, don’t forget to take the time to maintain and improve your health. First and foremost, take care of factors such as:
- Sleep and Rest . Always get enough sleep, and sleep at least 7 hours a day.
- Proper nutrition. Eat 3 meals a day, eating healthy and wholesome foods.
- Sports . Physical activity should be present daily. It can be a jog or an hour walk in the evening city.
- Giving up bad habits . Smoking and alcohol occupy the first two positions in the list of factors that worsen health and shorten the lives of people around the world.
If you know that certain actions, habits or products make you feel better, take advantage of them. The better you feel, the more productive you can be.
How to be financially successful
An equally important component of success in today’s world is financial well-being. Take care to preserve and multiply your capital, work on increasing the number of sources of income. The main habits associated with financial well-being can be summarized as follows:
- Keep records of income and expenses. You can use special software or just write everything down on a table on paper.
- Get rid of loans and debts. Outstanding debts are fraught not only with interest charges, but also with moral pressure.
- Live within your means. If your income has increased, you don’t have to live “off the high horse. Spend your money wisely.
- Avoid unnecessary spending. If you’re not sure if you should make an expensive purchase, the answer is no!
- Increase your income. Do something every day that will increase your income in the long run.
- Look for additional sources of income . If you read the interviews of successful celebrities, you will find that most of them came to success by creating several alternative sources of income.
- Don’t Borrow . Only violate this rule if there are difficult circumstances in the life of a loved one. But give money without stipulating the terms and conditions of return at all, because he may not have such an opportunity for a very long time. Read an interesting article on the subject: should I lend?
- Change your habits . Many habits discreetly pull money. For example, an afternoon cup of coffee seems like a trifling expense, but by giving it up, you can save a couple of thousand a month.
- Do not be jealous – take an example. Jealous of other people’s luck, you’re just wasting your time. It is better to think about whether you can do something similar.
- Move towards the goal systematically. Impatience – one of the main problems that prevent us from success in life. Be patient and work without expecting instant results.
- Always save . You’ve probably heard the advice to save 10% of your income many times. This is a truism that should not be ignored, even if your income is very small. The feeling that “something is being saved up somewhere” creates a powerful incentive to work.
- Improve your financial literacy . Even if you’re not an economist by education or profession, knowing the basics of economics isn’t superfluous. Seek out and study the literature on both personal finance and global finance.
The practical part
Friends, as you have already understood, one of the most important principles of success is the ability to set goals and achieve them. And the most important thing is that it can be learned. If you want to learn how to properly set goals and achieve them as quickly as possible, I recommend you the course “Goal Setting” from Wikium.
This course will teach you:
- Achieve your goals
- Not to waste energy
- Carry out your plans
- Reach new heights in development
- Realize your dreams.
What the course consists of:
- 6 Lessons
- Practical exercises and tips
- Graphic charts and assignments
Remember, friends: The most valuable investment is an investment in yourself!
Many people are looking for a secret that will allow them to succeed in life. But there are no special secrets – you have to work on yourself, your character and attitude toward the world. No circumstances will be a hindrance to a purposeful person. The main thing is to take full responsibility for your own life and follow the simple principles described in this article.